Your Guide To Probiotics: Why & When You Should Be Taking Them
Feeling healthy and looking great depend on many things. While eating well and getting regular exercise are two of the most important factors, they are not the only things you have to be aware of. Having a healthy microbiome is another key aspect that contributes to overall gut and immune system health and lowers your risk of contracting an illness. To maintain that healthy microbiome, look to probiotics.
What are probiotics?
The official definition of a probiotic is a living microorganism that offers health benefits to the person taking it. You read that right; probiotics are actually alive.
There are billions of bacteria inside each of our bodies, both good and bad. The bad bacteria typically does not become an issue unless it begins to outweigh the good. This is where probiotics come in, helping to maintain that healthy balance of good and bad bacteria inside of the body.
The way probiotics do this is still sort of a mystery to experts in the health and science field. What isn’t a mystery is the fact that they help to grow and control healthy bacteria inside of the gut.
Probiotics come in the form of bacteria or, sometimes, yeasts.
What benefits can probiotics offer me?
The research behind how probiotics work and why they work the ways they do is fairly new, but rapidly expanding. With the knowledge we do know, so far, probiotics specifically aid in the following ways:
- Maintaining a healthy microbiome: Because we ingest so many unnecessary sugars and foods that contain antibiotics, our body’s natural balance of bacteria is often shifting. Taking probiotics helps to support those good bacteria and encourage a healthy, balanced microbiome as best as possible.
- Balance immune function: The gut plays a major role in your immune system; so major, in fact, that about 80% of your immune system actually resides inside of your gut. This makes maintaining a healthy, functioning gut essential to not contracting illnesses.
- Improve nutrient absorption: A healthy gut means all of the enzymes and digestive bacteria that breaks down the food you eat into molecules that can be absorbed by your bloodstream are in balance. Maintaining a healthy gut so that all of the nutrients you eat are properly absorbed is essential to overall good health.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Having a healthy balance of microorganisms inside of your gut helps to speed up the metabolism and food cravings are reduced when your gut is happy. A healthy gut environment plays a role in stable moods; curbing cravings from low moods begins in the gut.
- Reduce fatigue: Poor digestion can lead to fatigue, which is why probiotics and energy are closely related. Improving gut health can reduce overall exhaustion immensely.
Other benefits of probiotics?
In simpler terms, moving food through your gut fast and increasing good bacteria to
absorb nutrients has many benefits. Beyond reducing bloating following a meal, there are many long-term ways that you will see health benefits from ingesting a daily – or even weekly – probiotic.
Users of typical probiotics have also seen healthier skin, better breath (as a result of a better balance of oral bacteria) and even better blood sugar levels once they start taking probiotics. Probiotics are particularly helpful in controlling a healthy pH balance in aspects of the female reproductive system as well.
Where can I find probiotics naturally?
Probiotic containing foods are foods that are prepared by bacterial fermentation. This includes yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, tempeh and kimchi.
Because probiotics can only be found in specific – and often relatively uncommon – foods that are prepared via bacterial fermentation, it is not common for someone to get all of the probiotics they need from their diet alone. Instead, probiotic supplements are often necessary.
Are all probiotics created equally?
While other supplement providers may want you to think so, all probiotic supplements are not created equally.
There are many kinds of probiotics that you can take. Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are two of the most popular and widely recognized forms of probiotics. The best probiotic supplements are those that contain a variety of strains of probiotics, covering a wide spectrum of conditions that your gut might need.
Protein Empire recently released a probiotic supplement that contains a variety of strains essential to your own gut health. Containing 3 strains of Lactobacillus, a Bifidobacterium strain and even strain specific to breaking down the lactose sugar in dairy products called Sretptococcus thermophilus, it is the most comprehensive probiotic supplement on the market.
Get relief from:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Antibiotic-related diarrhea
- Skin conditions such as eczema
- Oral health ailments
- Urinary and vaginal health issues
and more when you add a probiotic supplement to your daily health and fitness routine!
With a 3-month supply – 90 capsules bursting with benefits – offered at just £17.99, you have nothing to lose trying the Probiotic Complex Digestive Enzyme health boosting supplement.